South Shore Yacht Club: A Proud History
South Shore Yacht Club had a very modest beginning in 1913, when a group of men decided to form a club that would channel their interest in sailing into one cohesive effort - SOUTH SHORE YACHT CLUB. Many of those men lived close to the lake, all of them lived in Bay View.
Milestones in Our History
1913 |
The Club was organized |
1915 |
The schooner LILY E is purchased to serve as a floating Clubhouse. |
1921 |
South Shore Yacht Club and the Steel Mill Yacht Club join in forming one club |
1921 |
The LILY E succumbs to age and is scuttled; she is buried under the parking lot |
1938 |
The present Clubhouse is dedicated, and the famous Queen's Cup ® Trophy |
1963 |
The first bank of slips is built. |
1988 |
The Club celebrated her 75th Anniversary! |
Perserverance & Growth
The past century has brought both good times and challenges. During the Great Depression, members struggled to pay the $5 annual dues, but the Club endured. The current clubhouse itself was built entirely by the hard work and dedication of SSYC members—a spirit of commitment that continues today.
Where We Stand Today
From those humble beginnings in 1913, South Shore Yacht Club has grown into one of the largest and most respected yacht clubs on Lake Michigan. Through member dedication and love of sailing, SSYC has become a club admired across the Great Lakes.