Consider Becoming a Volunteer 'Steward'
Our new Welcome Aboard program provides “new-member stewards” to people who are joining SSYC without the benefit of pre-existing friendships. Integrating them quickly into club life is our goal. Read all about it here.
Stewards are volunteer longtime members. Already many volunteers have stepped up. But we're going to need a lot more because early indications point to a big recruitment season this year.
Welcome Aboard is a mentoring/buddy system whereby the new member, in being assigned a steward, acquires an instant friend and go-to person. While not replacing our orientation programs, Welcome Aboard gets the new member up to speed in advance of the next scheduled orientation session.
Anybody Can Volunteer
As a steward, you aren't asked to be an encyclopedic resource. You will simply bring to bear your working knowledge of who's who at SSYC and how things get done here. The only real qualifications are that you love our club and are a sociable, community-minded person who enjoys getting to know engaging and interesting new people. Spousal teams are also strongly invited to become stewards.
How You Can Help Out
• Make sure the new member is receiving e-mail blasts
• Make appropriate introductions to office staff and the GM.
• Make sure the new member is signed up for the next orientation session.
• Be available as a dining/cocktail companion.
• Learn the new member's interests and refer the new member to the proper sign-up resources, ie slips, winter storage, dry sail, Power Boaters, SS/SSS, PHRF, LMYA.
• Explain volunteer spirit at South Shore Yacht Club and encourage the new member to get involved.
• Introduce the new member to committee chairs.
• Invite and accompany the new member to the next general membership meeting.
• Be there as an experienced resource if the new member has questions about social life and decorum at SSYC.
We have already connected a number of new members with stewards. It works, and it's fun. This shouldn't be thought of as a job. You're going to enjoy meeting new members and being of service to them. Talk to people who already are volunteering. You probably know one.
Thanks for your interest in joining the Welcome Aboard Program. To become an SSYC new-member steward, please contact Dick Olson.